About Professional Word Services
Paula Ruzek, principal writer and editor
BA (Journalism), RMIT, Victoria
For the past 17 years, Paula has thrived as a freelance journalist, writer, editor, proofreader and publication production specialist, having taken the leap from full-time employment into the competitive marketplace.
She has worked with professional associations, corporate clients, publishing houses and government departments over a wide range of subject areas. Her high-level writing and production skills have helped her clients to:
- Publish national magazines and newsletters.
- Establish and maintain quality websites.
- Win new business through case study examples of how they operate.
- Showcase their expertise to their own clients and potential targets.
- Polish important documents before delivery to clients or the public.
- Meet publication deadlines, time after time.
Before becoming a full-time freelancer, Paula worked on the Melbourne suburban press as a journalist and subeditor, at The Age as a subeditor on the general and business news desks, and at BRW magazine as a subeditor and proofreader.
Paula has a passion for working with words. She calls it an “order from chaos thing”. “The written word is quite different from talking,” she says. “It needs order, logic, structure, flow, a whole heap of things, or else its meaning becomes obscured or unintelligible.
“I enjoy taking undefined masses of information, like great big balls of tangled wool, and weaving them into a coherent, organised whole. Order from chaos — and words that say exactly what you want them to say.”
Print this information